Make fresh tortillas with your Thermomix® and the TM Essentials Tortilla Press. Perfect for your next Mexican feast or to have with lunch.
100g pork or duck fat (you can also substitute with copha)
350g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp baking powder
180g hot water
- Melt the pork or duck fat at 100C, Speed 2 for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 6 seconds at Speed 6.
- Knead on Dough function for 2 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the Bowl onto a lightly floured Non Stick Silicone Baking Mat. Shape into a ball, wrap in the mat and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a log and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll into balls.
- To make the tortillas, line the base of the Tortilla Press with a piece of baking paper the width of the plate.
- Place a ball of dough in the centre and top with another piece of baking paper.
- Close the press and use the lever firmly (but not with excessive force) for 3 seconds to shape the tortilla. Turn over and repeat.
- Remove the baking paper and cook the tortilla for 15 seconds on each side in a hot pan. There is no need to use oil in the pan.
- Return the tortilla to the baking paper and press again on each side for 3 seconds.
- Return to the pan to finish cooking on both sides. Again without oil.
This recipe was shared by José, who you can see in the video. José is from Mexico City and lived with us for 6 months. With the help of his Mum in Mexico, he shared some delicious Mexican recipes with us.