Nothing tastes better than homemade bread, with its full flavours, utter freshness and the satisfaction you get in the making. You’ll never find a loaf that compares to the one you take from the oven.
This is our fool proof recipe for light, tasty, crusty white sandwich and high-top loaf bread made using your Thermomix®.
360g tepid water
2 tsp instant dried yeast
25g powdered milk
1 tsp salt
2 tsp bread improver
600g white baker’s flour
- Add the water first, then remaining ingredients to the Thermomix® bowl.
- Mix at speed 3 for 15 seconds.
- Knead for 8 minutes dough function.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured TM Essentials Non-Stick Silicone Mat. Wrap dough lightly to protect it from drying out and giving it room to rise.
- Rest the dough in the oven set to 30°C (defrost setting) for 15 minutes. The dough will have doubled in size during this time.
- Using the mat the dough rested in, cut the dough in half with a silicone spatula.
- Press one half of the dough into a large 30 x 20cm rectangle with your fingertips.
- Fold one side of the dough into the centre.
- Fold in the other side of the dough to the opposite folded edge.
- Turn the dough so that the seam is facing down and tuck the ends under.
- With the seam side down, place at one end of a lightly oiled TM Essentials Loaf Pan.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
For a square sandwich loaf of bread
- Slide the lid on, leaving a 3-4 cm gap to observe the dough. Cover the opening gap with lightly greased cling wrap.
- Place in the oven set to 35°C (defrost setting) for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Allow to rise to 2cm below the height of the pan.
- Gently remove from the oven and rest on the counter. Heat the oven to 220°C.
- Remove the cling wrap, slide the lid on and gently place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer shows 95-99°C.
- When finished, remove from the oven and remove the lid immediately. Allow to rest in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire try to cool completely.
For a high-top loaf of bread
- Cover the loaf pan with lightly oiled cling wrap allowing it to simply rest on top.
- Place in the oven set to 35°C (defrost setting) for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow to rise to 2cm above the height of the pan.
- Gently remove from the oven and rest on the counter. Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove the cling wrap and gently place in the oven.
- Pour ½ cup ice in the base of the oven, either on the floor of the oven or on a tray.
- Close the oven door and reduce the heat to 180C. Bake for 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer shows 95-99C.
- When finished, remove from the oven and allow to rest in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire try to cool completely.
After baking the bread pan and lid should be wiped clean rather than washed in detergent.
Download our full guide to Baking the Perfect Loaf of Bread here.