Nothing tastes better than homemade bread, with its full flavours, utter freshness and the satisfaction you get in the making. You’ll never find a loaf that compares to the one you take from the oven.
This is our fool proof recipe for light, tasty, crusty white sandwich and high-top loaf bread.
360g tepid water
2 tsp instant dried yeast
25g powdered milk
1 tsp salt
2 tsp bread improver
600g white baker’s flour
- Add the water first, then remaining ingredients to the Thermomix bowl.
- Mix at speed 3 for 15 seconds.
- Knead for 8 minutes dough function.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured TM Essentials Non-Stick Silicone Mat. Wrap dough lightly to protect it from drying out and giving it room to rise.
- Rest the dough in the oven set to 30°C (defrost setting) for 15 minutes. The dough will have doubled in size during this time.
- Using the mat the dough rested in, cut the dough in half with a silicone spatula.
- Press one half of the dough into a large 30 x 20cm rectangle with your fingertips.
- Fold one side of the dough into the centre.
- Fold in the other side of the dough to the opposite folded edge.
- Turn the dough so that the seam is facing down and tuck the ends under.
- With the seam side down, place at one end of a lightly oiled TM Essentials Loaf Pan.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
For a square sandwich loaf of bread
- Slide the lid on, leaving a 3-4 cm gap to observe the dough. Cover the opening gap with lightly greased cling wrap.
- Place in the oven set to 35°C (defrost setting) for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Allow to rise to 2cm below the height of the pan.
- Gently remove from the oven and rest on the counter. Heat the oven to 220°C.
- Remove the cling wrap, slide the lid on and gently place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer shows 95-99°C.
- When finished, remove from the oven and remove the lid immediately. Allow to rest in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire try to cool completely.
For a high-top loaf of bread
- Cover the loaf pan with lightly oiled cling wrap allowing it to simply rest on top.
- Place in the oven set to 35°C (defrost setting) for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow to rise to 2cm above the height of the pan.
- Gently remove from the oven and rest on the counter. Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove the cling wrap and gently place in the oven.
- Pour ½ cup ice in the base of the oven, either on the floor of the oven or on a tray.
- Close the oven door and reduce the heat to 180C. Bake for 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer shows 95-99C.
- When finished, remove from the oven and allow to rest in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire try to cool completely.
After baking the bread pan and lid should be wiped clean rather than washed in detergent.