This gluten free chocolate cake has the added natural sweetness from apples and nutty flavours. It is moist enough to be finished off with a dusting of icing sugar.
85g potatoes, peeled and quartered
130g apple, quartered and cored (no need to peel)
140g unsalted butter, room temp
100g dark chocolate
2 tsp baking powder
- Lightly grease and dust with cornflour a 6 cup bundt or ring cake tin. Preheat the oven to 180°C. If you don't have a small bundt tin, you can use a 20 cm round cake tin, but the finished cake will be about 3cm high.
- Chop the almonds Speed 7 for 7 seconds. Set aside
- Without cleaning the bowl, place the potatoes and apple in the TM bowl and chop at Speed 8 for 5 seconds. Set aside with the ground almonds.
- Without cleaning the bowl, chop the chocolate at Speed 8 for 5 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and melt the chocolate at 80°C Speed 2 for 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and sugar and mix at Speed 5 for 5 seconds.
- Add the eggs one at a time while the blade is running at Speed 3 over 30 seconds.
- Add the baking powder, reserved almonds, potato and apple puree and mix at Speed 5 for 15 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides and mix for a further 10 seconds at Speed 5.
- Pour into the bundt tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until the top springs back and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a plate. When cool dust with icing sugar.
Serves 8-10. Keeps for 2-3 days.